Your cart is currently empty.
Add a Pillow (Standard Size)
Add a Pillow (King Size)
Your cart is emptyShop Now
What CBD Can Do for Autism Spectrum Disorder
For unknown reasons, rates of autism in the United States have skyrocketed. According to an article in Scientific American, 1 in 68 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with autism, which is more than double the rate diagnosed in 2000.
Living With Autism
Depending on its severity, autism can severely impact the quality of life for both children and adults. In recent years, researchers have conducted exciting studies into managing the co-factors and disorders associated with autism. Currently, many universities are investigating the effects of CBD oil on people with autism. With new and fascinating research advancing daily, what’s been determined so far about CBD oil and autism?
What is Autism?
When describing autism, the word “spectrum” often comes to mind. As a neurodevelopment disorder, autism encompasses a wide range of symptoms and impacts each individual to a different severity.
Some common attributes of autism include:
- Social and communicative issues. Children and adults on the spectrum may have difficulty maintaining eye contact, communicating with others, and expressing themselves adequately. This can lead to higher levels of stress and anxiety.
- Behavioral issues. With ASD (autism spectrum disorders), children may resort to repetitive and occasionally injurious behaviors.
- Increased risk of certain disorders. For example, children with ASD are 20% more likely to suffer from epilepsy
Studies: How Could CBD Oil Help?
1. Effects on Social and Behavioral Issues
One retrospective study of 60 children with ASD found some hopeful results on CBD. At the end of the study, results demonstrated that, in 61% of the children studied, behavioral outbreaks were very much improved.
In general, CBD oil has been linked to decreased rates of anxiety, which is a major co-factor not only for children with ASD, but for their parents and caretakers. The retrospective study demonstrated a marked decrease of stress in the Autism Parenting Stress Index.
2. Effects on Epilepsy
Because of its interaction with the body’s endocannabinoid system, many studies have discussed CBD oil’s potentials for treating seizures and epileptic disorders.
- In one survey of parents belonging to a Facebook group dedicated to using CBD to treat children’s seizures, sixteen of the nineteen parents reported a more than 80% decrease in their child’s seizure activity.
- Another study researched the use of CBD in specific childhood epilepsy disorders, such as Dravet syndrome, finding that a significant percentage of patients reported a decrease in seizure activity from CBD versus the placebo group.
- The scientific community is becoming more and more interested in the potential of CBD’s interaction with epilepsy. In fact, according to Newsweek, a U.S. FDA advisory panel recently recommended a CBD-based drug to help treat childhood epilepsy.
Testimonials and Anecdotal stories
As the scientific community increases its research on CBD oil, parents continue to speak out anecdotally about the effects of CBD on their children. Take Abiel Gomez Santiago, who used hemp oil spray for his young son with ASD. According to Abiel, his son started talking for the first time after just three days of use.
“He surprised us in school by saying the vowels, A-E-I-O-U. It was the first time ever. You can’t imagine the emotion we had, hearing Kalel’s voice for the first time. It was amazing.”
MAMMA, an organization that focuses on grassroots efforts to legalize marijuana for use in autism, includes several amazing testimonials on how CBD use impacted their children with autism. According to one mother:
Within a short time we started seeing changes; her aggression started getting better, more words started getting clearer and her eye contact improved. Her seizures became almost non-existent and her sleeping went from 4 hours to 7-8 hours. As time went on, the words became longer and started to be full sentences and not only that, she started conversing with me!
Can we use CBD Oil with Kids with Autism?
Many people associate CBD oil with recreational marijuana use. But keep in mind that the CBD oil available at Bota Hemp does not contain THC, therefore it has none of the psychoactive effects associated with other parts of the cannabis plant. It is safe for children as a supplement to improve their symptoms, not as a replacement for prescribed medicine. If you’ve never purchase CBD oil before, refer to our three rules of thumb. The process is very simple.
As with all interventions for autism, please stick with the medical advice of a professional to make decisions for yourself, your family, and your children. Though many studies are promising, CBD oil is not a replacement for a physician’s diagnosis or medication.
CBD PRODUCTSBUY NOW
NEW TO CBD?
TAKE OUR BEGINNER WALKTHROUGHSTART NOW